- Black Mesa Ranger District of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests
- Navajo County, Arizona
- 5 miles southeast of Forest Lakes, 10 miles southwest of Heber/Overgaard.
Start Date: 6/28/2017 Percent Contained: 0
Size: 100 acres Resources Assigned: 50 – 60 personnel
Cause: Lightning Growth Potential: Moderate
Vegetation: Dead and down (the 2002 Structures Threatened: Gentry Lookout
Rodeo/Chediski burn area) and brush
Summary: The Gentry Fire has transitioned to the White Mountain Zone Type 3 Team, Incident Commander Chris Johnson. Fire managers plan to employ a full suppression strategy on the fire. Crews continue the structure protection around Gentry Lookout today. They have hand line to the west of the fire, dozer line to the east, FR 300 is being used as the holding line to the south, and FR 86 to the north. Potential for growth on the east side of the fire, west side is holding well. If conditions allow there will be a burn out of approximate 400 acres this evening. It is anticipated that the Gentry Fire will help clean up much of the dead and down material left by the Rodeo/Chediski Fire, thereby reducing the future probability of high-intensity wildfire and its potentially severe and negative fire effects.
The closure area is to ensure public safety and allow fire fighters to effectually suppress the fire.
The following closures are in effect on the Black Mesa Ranger District (Forest Order 01-17-601):
- Forest Road 300 south from Forest Road 86 to 487 (near Turkey Springs)
- Brookbank Dispersed Camp area
- Forest Road 86 from Forest Road 300 to Baca Meadow including all dispersed camp areas around Black Canyon Lake
- Black Canyon Lake Recreation Area
- Black Canyon Rim Campground
- Gentry Campground
- Hangman Trail
Please see attached map for detail of the closure area.